Sunday, January 25, 2015

Turning to the bible!

It seems like in times of trial or need I always come back to writing, or blogging rather. Why have I not been like that with the bible? 
I have always felt that getting my thoughts out on to "paper" helps to calm my mind. But since I have recently started bible study I thought "Wait, go read the bible!" (I have always been a Christian but haven't always been active in going to church or reading the bible-that's new.) since I am new to the reading the bible part of being a Christian I don't know scripture well enough to know which book of the bible to turn to when I need Strength vs comfort ect. But what I do know is that today I was feeling lonely, weak, and sad and I just opened the bible and started reading. I read 1 John and 2 John and it had nothing to do with what was happening in my life but after I was done reading it I felt better. I am also trying to pray more and pray on my knees as Daniel did. I am not anywhere close to as committed to this as I should be - I tend to pray a lot when I am driving- but it's a start.
I have also noticed how God has perfect timing. He knows when we need a little extra. On Tuesday I was feeling pretty stressed out, I had a cranky baby, and that made me cranky and at just the moment I thought I was going to break down I got a little message from just the right person. In that moment I knew God was taking care of me! Then again today I started to get down and sad that my husband is out of town and we can't talk on the phone and I got a Facebook message from a college friend. She had no idea what I was doing, that I was down, or even that my husband is gone and her message had nothing to do with any of that but just someone to talk to about nothing was just what I needed to take my mind off things. 
As I said I recently (August) started going to bible study! I thought I was going to hate it. Being so new to studying the bible I don't know scripture and I don't know where to look things up in the bible yet I feel like it is where I am supposed to be. The people there don't judge or care that I don't know as much as they do they just treat me the same!  Only once has someone said something like "We all know the story of Daniel and the Lion'a Den from when we were little" and I was thinking this is the first I have heard of Daniel haha. But that didn't discourage me. It made me want to learn it more so that I can teach Morgan while she is young like all their parents did them! 

What is your favorite verse?

No comments:

Post a Comment