Sunday, June 9, 2013

Colorado Adventures..

I read on a blog somewhere that when you move to a new location you should be a tourist for 2 weeks. They say that you are less likely to do do the fun touristy things if you don't do them soon after you arrive. So, that is what we have been doing this past week and we plan on continuing to do a bit next week as well. 

We started by attempting 'The Incline' in Manitou Springs. 
Just before we started the incline

The Manitou Springs Incline, also known as the Manitou Incline or simply the Incline, is a popular hiking trail rising above Manitou Springs, Colorado, near Colorado Springs. The trail is the remains of a former incline railway whose tracks washed out during a rock slide in 1990. The Incline is famous for its sweeping views and steep grade, as steep as 68% in places,[1] making it a fitness challenge for locals in the Colorado Springs area. The incline gains over 2,000 feet (610 m) of elevation in less than one mile.
 -From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looking up the incline from the bottom
While I am very glad we attempted it soon after arriving, I think it would have been a better idea to wait until we were completely acclimated to the high altitude. We went my sister and brother-in law and a new friend Jess who have lived here for many years so this was not as bad for them. I on the other hand only made it half way before I was getting dizzy and light headed so we took the cut off to Barr Trail. Which was a lot easier to go down than trying to go down the steep steps of the incline. I am planning to make it to the top of the incline before the summer is over! 
This is just a little below where we stopped at the half way point...what a view! 

























 At the start of this past week we went to Denver. The first stop we made was for lunch at an amazing little pizza place called Proto's. I highly recommend it for anyone in Denver!








James and I
After lunch we went to the Downtown Aquarium. It was so much fun! I have only been to an aquarium one other time and I don't even remember when or where it was. I have a lot of pictures but I will just post a couple for y'all.
James and the Shark







We also took a trip to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. So much fun! The first thing we did when we got there was to ride the 'skyride' to a high point. There really wasn't anything at the top for adults except an awesome lookout point. The ride attendant told me that at the point we were at 6,990 feet altitude. Again I took a ton of pictures but I will only post a few for y'all. 
 

 



 The most recent thing we did was go to the Cheyenne Mountain Shooting Complex near Ft. Carson. This is a new range and it was really nice! We took the new .45 and the .22 I already knew that I love the .22 but I fell hard in love with the new .45 I really want one of my own now!!!


And that is as far as our adventures have gone this far. We have one week left of James on leave and we are planning to visit the Olympic Training Center and possible the Cave of Winds. 

*Wish me luck I have a job interview on Tuesday!!!!!!  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment